Hello Readers,
Greetings!!!
Happy Learning
Aditya
Greetings!!!
In my recent conversation with
one of our customers, an unusual request came up which triggered a very
interesting discussion. Customer wanted us to assess the email culture in their
teams and find out if engineers have to tendency to miss any important emails
because of large number of incoming emails. According to the customer, most of
their staff is getting hundreds of emails every day and obviously not every
email is important for everyday work. The fear is, what if people get into the
habit of ignoring emails and miss out something important.
After this discussion, the first
thought which came into my mind was: “isn’t it a problem with every
organization?” I think it is. Be it my current organization, previous employers
or the customers I have worked with, I have not only faced this problem, but
also ignorantly added to the problem.
So the question here is, is there
a solution to this problem? If yes, then what would it be and how complicated
it is? If no, what is the best way to ensure that no important emails remain
un-noticed?
A precursor would be “how many of
us would see this as a problem?” I am assuming that more than 50% of us would
not see this as a problem. However, since our customers see this as a problem,
then we must have a solution. That’s IT Service Industry for you. Yow know that’s
how it goes!!! Pun Intended!
Alright so before we get into a
possible solution, let’s define and measure the problem. In order to do that,
we need to analyze the kind of emails we receive in a week and categorize them.
There are three high level categories can be defined:
-
Category
1 - Actionable Emails
-
Category
2 - Work Related Information (CCs etc.)
-
Category
3 - General Information/Group Emails
Going further, we need to do some
sampling on emails received last few weeks. (The sampling must be done during
the usual work-month not in the holiday season). We need to categorize each
email in one of the defined categories.
I targeted first and last week of
a month do the sampling and then did the categorization exercise. Here are the
results:
In a given week, only 30% of the
emails I received are Actionable Email. Of the remaining, 40% (i.e. 30% of the
total) are Work Related Information and rest are General Information/Group
Email. I ran this test one more time and observed similar results.
|
Workweeks
|
Category 1
|
Category 2
|
Category 3
|
|
Week1(month start)
|
30%
|
30%
|
40%
|
|
Week2(month end)
|
35%
|
35%
|
30%
|
|
Week3(random sample)
|
28%
|
25%
|
47%
|
|
Week4(random sample)
|
36%
|
40%
|
24%
|
|
Week5(random sample)
|
30%
|
25%
|
45%
|
I did this test with a colleague of mine and
found similar results.
On the whole, the results were
eye opening. Some of us might not be agreeing with these numbers and that’s
perfectly alright because it depends upon multiple things like nature of work,
job level, team size, organization culture etc. However, we can’t disagree with
the fact that there are lot of emails all of us get on our official email IDs
that have nothing to do with the work.
In the second phase of my study,
I tried to analyze the Category 3 - General Information type of emails and
understand what value they are bringing into my professional life. They only
value I see in those emails is a little distraction which can keep us motivated
at times. Examples are Announcements, Events, News, Blogs, Notifications and
Advertisements etc.
A similar analysis was done on
Category 2 emails that are Work Related Information emails. Surprisingly, in
this category, 50% of the emails are just for my information where no action is
expected from me currently or in future. The other 50% were intended to me so
that I can prepare myself for possible future action.
Based on these studies, I was
convinced that something must be done to those non-value adding email. The
natural impulse was to find a way to stop the Category 3 emails and put some
restrictions on Category 2 emails by encouraging people to “not to reply to all”.
But when I saw category 2& 3 emails from the organizational perspective, I
felt that there is a need for all these Category 2 & 3 emails. However, I was certain that these emails don’t
have a place the pile of all Category 1 emails.
Then I thought about LinkedIn &
Facebook and the way we get all kind of information on this platforms which is
related to our professional life but not directly to our job and I realized
that social media can play a great role in cleaning up our mailboxes by
providing right place to all those Category 2 & Category 3 emails. The
beauty of social media platforms is that there is no pile on. When I want to, I
can be actively contributing and otherwise I can just be a spectator. (TV is a
lean-back medium, Internet is a lean-forward medium and social media can be
both – Unknown)
So just imagine a LinkedIn or
Facebook like platform within an organization. Anybody can post an update
something s/he wants to share. S/he can decide the audiences. S/he can “tag”
people who are closer to the information. For example:
And there can be many more. We all
see these emails in our mailboxes but I strongly feel that social media
platform is the appropriate place for them.
So have we found
a solution here? Well let’s do a quick argument
By implementing a social media platform like LinkedIn or Facebook on
company intranet, we can eliminate the big pile of Category 2 & 3 emails
and convert them into “wall posts” or “updates”. This approach would not only eliminate
the sizable amount of non-value adding data from the servers but also change
our emailing habits.
Counter argument: Lot of organizations have already tried the in-house
social media solutions and no benefits have been seen so far. Only few HR guys
use this kind of stuff for some events etc. People are very comfortable with
the emails because it still retains certain degree of responsibility. Social
media on the other hand can make things more casual at work.
Both the arguments are right and
certainly there is no best practice available in this space, which brings us to
a very important point here. Social Media is successful only if it is being
used extensively. Similarly to make the social media successful in an
enterprise, we need to have a great behavioral change management strategy. The
strategy should consider both top down and bottom up approach. A top down
approach can be monitoring the mailing patterns, questioning people who are
sending bulk emails to 30+ users at the same time etc. A bottom up approach can
be training people, start using social media for Category 3 updates, do pilot
runs etc.
It is needless to say that this
kind of change is going to take time. And when I say time, I am not talking
about days or weeks. I am talking about months and years. But I am quite
optimistic that this change is going to survive. The reason is, the younger
generation is social media savvy. I did not grow up with Facebook or LinkedIn.
In my school and college days, the term social media did not exist. For us, the
internet was all about mailing, chatting and browsing. On the other side, the
younger generation is growing up with social media. It somehow relates to their
way of thinking and dealing with day to day life. Therefore, having social
media-like culture at work would be an easy sail for them.
The real behavioral change would
be needed for people of my generation and elders (early thirties and beyond). For
our generation, social media is mostly about entertainment and information. We need
to upgrade ourselves and start smart utilization of social media at work. We need
to detach ourselves from the habit of mail trails, reply to all etc. and get
into social media style of workplace.
Finally, I would like to say that
social media can play a great role in changing or upgrading our work culture
(especially emailing habits) in positive manner. IT itself is evolving at a very
high velocity and with the new trend of BYOD, an enterprise social media
platform has certainly a long way to go.

No comments:
Post a Comment